Contact us: 240-755-3544 Email:

Amended tax return

What you need to know about filing an amended tax return
You’ve filed your federal tax return and now discovered you’ve made a mistake.

What should you do? You can fix the errors by filing an amended tax return.
Here are a few tips that can help you:
• We can help you determine if you should file an amended return to correct an error or make other changes to your original return.
• Note the following”
• File an amended tax return if there is a change in your filing status, income, deductions or credits.
• Generally, you don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors.
The IRS will automatically make those changes for you.
Also, don’t file an amended return because you forgot to attach tax forms such as Forms W-2 or schedules.
If necessary, the IRS normally sends a request asking for those documents.
• In general, you must file amended tax return within three years of the date you filed your
original tax return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is
• If you’re filing an amended tax return to claim an additional refund, wait until you
receive your original tax refund before filing amended tax return
• If you owe additional taxes with amended tax return, pay the tax with the return or as
soon as possible to minimize interest and penalties.
For more details and help visit

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

Recent Posts

View All